Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
How do I get Microsoft Office for free through Deakin University? (Windows)
This offer allows Deakin Students and Staff to install the Office 2013 (Windows) suite onto five computers for free whilst enrolled/employed at Deakin. The installation and management (licensing) of the software is controlled through your Deakin Office 365 account.
This software will only be available to use during your active Student enrolment or Staff employment at Deakin University. The software downloaded during this period will expire when your enrolment/employment expires.
- On the PC, sign into www.deakin.edu.au/office365
You'll be prompted with Deakin's Single Sign On screen. Enter your Deakin Username and Password, then click Sign on.
- Click the Settings cog, and under Your app settings select Office365.
- On the Settings page click on Software.
- Click on Office > Install.
The majority of users will use the default settings. If you require the 64 Bit Version select advanced.
Note: If you are unsure which version to install click the advanced link and then select the which version is right for me link.
- Download the setup application.
If you are prompted to Run or Save the setup. Select Run.
If you are only prompted to Save the setup, save it to your Downloads folder. Then open your Downloads folder and run the setup app.
- Accept the User Account Control prompt.
- Microsoft Office 2016 installation will commence.
- Once installation is complete, click Close on the confirmation window.
- Start one of the Office applications, such as Word. To do so, click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office 2016, or use the icons in the Quick Launch bar.
- If prompted for your email address, enter your Deakin email address in the following format:
Staff: Office may be automatically activated. If not, enter your email address as: email@example.com
Entering your personal (non-Deakin) email address will not correctly activate the software.
- At the Deakin Single Sign On panel, enter your Deakin username and password.
- If prompted with the product license agreement, click Accept.
- To confirm the software is activated, start any Office application, and look for your name and Deakin email address in the top right corner of the Document Gallery.
Students: Your name must appear in all uppercase.
Staff: Your name will appear in upper and lowercase based on how it is formatted in the staff directory.
You can also confirm activation by logging into www.deakin.edu.au/office365, then clicking Settings (cog icon) > Office365 > Install Status.
To install Office 365 on another computer, follow the above steps while logged onto the machine you would like to install Office on.
You can view all your current installations and deactivate any of them from the Install status menu.