Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
How do I get a Skype for Business (Lync) Persistent Chat Room created?
The following key concepts are important to this process:
- Categories allow grouping of chat rooms that require similar properties, or membership groups.
- Categories are defined by the Lync Administrator.
- At Deakin, a Category will be defined for each Faculty and Division (some are already created).
- Further Categories may be defined in future for specific business areas, on a case-by-case basis.
- Chat rooms are created within a specific Category.
- Creation of chat rooms are limited to authorised Creators.
- Creators can create new chat rooms within their authorised Category only.
- Authorisation is assigned by the Lync Administrator.
- IT Reps and Data Stewards will be authorised as Creators within their area.
Process for the creation of chat room
- Staff member contacts Data Steward or IT Rep in their faculty/area to request new chat room.
- If Category does not exist for this area as yet, Data Steward/IT Rep escalates to IT Service Desk for creation of Category.
- Data Steward/IT Rep reviews request and contacts the requestor to confirm:
- Privacy – Open / Closed / Secret
- Additional Room Manager
- Members (if required)
- Data Steward/IT Rep creates Chat Room within the category for their area, including:
- Assigning requester as Room Manager
- Assigning additional Room Manager
- Assigning Members (if requested)
- Data Steward/IT Rep advises the staff member, and provides a link for the Create and Manage a Lync chat room.
For further help and support please contact the IT Service Desk.