Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
How do I setup a videoconference with an external contact using Lync? (Windows)
- Schedule a Lync online meeting via Outlook
- Invite an external contact to the online meeting
- For a Deakin contact to join the meeting online
- For an external contact to join the meeting online
- For an external contact to join the meeting via phone (audio only)
Schedule an online meeting via Outlook
- Open Outlook 2013.
- Click New Meeting.
- In the new Appointment window, click New Skype Meeting.
Outlook will add the Skype for Business online meeting controls into the appointment.
- Adjust the meeting details.
- Click Meeting Options to change the Lync meeting options.
- Click Scheduling Assistant to add attendees, rooms and resources as normal (if required).
Invite an external contact to the online meeting
- Invite external contacts by entering their full email address in the To... box (separated by semi-colons).
It is recommended that you also email external contacts a link to the online helpsheet Join a Skype for Business (Lync) Meeting from Skype for Business Web App.
- Click Send.
The online meeting will appear in your Outlook Calendar as normal.
The external contact will receive an email invitation to the online meeting.
The email will contain the hyperlink to join the meeting. The Help hyperlink provides a step-by-step troubleshooting wizard for attendees.
For a Deakin contact to join the meeting online
- Click Join Online within the Outlook meeting reminder.
- OR - Open the appointment in your Outlook calendar and click the Join Skype Meeting link.
- Select Use Skype for Business (full audio and video) and click OK.
An online meeting window will open with audio.
- Click the Video icon to start your video.
- Click the End Call icon to leave the online meeting.
The online meeting ends whan all participants have left the meeting.
For an external contact to join the meeting online
- Open the meeting request, and select Join Skype Meeting.
- If you don't have the Skype for Business app installed - Download and Install the Skype for Business Web App plug-in, which is required for audio, video and screen sharing.
- Then select Join the meeting.
For more information, see Join a Skype for Business (Lync) Meeting from Skype for Business Web App.
For an external contact to join the meeting via phone (audio only)
- The external contact should open the meeting invitation email.
- To join by phone, dial one of the numbers listed and enter the Conference ID when prompted.
- Click on the Help link in the meeting invite email for a step-by-step troubleshooting wizard.
- Hang up to end the connection to the meeting.