Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
What is the difference between Skype and Skype for Business (Lync)?
Deakin Staff and Students now have access to both Skype and Skype for Business - two similar applications for communication and collaboration. This helps you to understand when you should use Skype, and when you can use Skype for Business.
You can have both Skype and Skype for Business (Lync) installed on your computer - they are independent applications that do not interact between each other. The main differences are the account you use to sign-in and the features that are available.
Note: Lync 2011 is the equivalent application for Mac.
Skype is the free consumer (public) product used by individuals and small businesses to communicate and collaborate online.
- Skype is available for free download
- You create your own Skype account
- You can communicate with any other Skype user worldwide
- You can email, instant-message, video-chat, present and share screen via video.
- Skype is recommended for personal (non-work) use
Skype for Business
Skype for Business 2015 is the licensed Enterprise product used by large businesses and organisations to communicate and collaborate online.
- Skype for Business 2015 is installed as part of Office 2013 for Windows PC, under our Deakin licence (or Lync 2011 for Mac)
- You sign-in with your Deakin account (email and password)
- You can communicate with any other Skype for Business (or Lync) user, including Deakin staff and students and users from other organisations and universities worldwide
- You can now also directly communicate with any other Skype user worldwide (but just like Skype, you have to first send a connect request and the contact needs to accept that request before you can communicate)
- You can email, instant-message, video-chat, schedule online video meetings, present and share screen via video, and share content.
- Skype for Business is fully integrated with Outlook, Microsoft Office and SharePoint.
- Skype for Business has enterprise grade security
- Skype for Business is recommended for work use