Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
Connect with Skype for Business users in other organisations
Many other universities and organisations also use Skype for Business (Lync) for communication. One of the features of Skype for Business is federation - the agreement for two organisations to connect so that users in both organisations can communicate directly with each other via Skype for Business.
One of the features of Skype for Business (Lync) is Federation - which is the ability to connect and communicate with Skype for Business (Lync) users in other organisations. Federation is an agreement between organisations to connect using Skype for Business (Lync). You can also connect directly with a Skype using from Skype for Business because Skype and Skype for Business are now fully federated.
Deakin has chosen Open Federation, which allows us to automatically connect with other organisations that use Skype for Business (Lync) and have open federation. This means that you can:
- Search for an external contact in another federated organisation in Skype for Business (Lync) using their email address
- View their contact card.
- Add them to your contact groups and Favourites.
- Communicate with them via instant message or desktop video conferencing.
To connect with a Skype user
You can connect directly and communicate with a Skype user using Skype for Business (Lync) and vice versa.
|Available with Skype users||Not yet available with Skype users|
To connect with a person in another organisation
- Open Skype for Business (Lync).
- Click the Add Contact icon.
- Select Add a Contact Not in My Organization, then Skype for Business
- Type the person's email (or IM) address.
If the email address is in a valid format, a 'green tick' will be shown.
- Select a Contact Group and Privacy Relationship for the contact.
- Click OK.
Skype for Business (Lync) will commence validating the contact. If the organisation is already federated with Deakin, you will be able to communicate with the contact as soon as they are validated and federation is confirmed.
To federate with another organisation
We have already federated with many higher education institutions in Australia. We can also request federation with other organisations, such as government bodies and partner organisations that do not have open federation.
- If an organisation is not yet federated with Deakin but chooses Open Federation, Deakin will automatically federate with this organisation when any contact is made by any staff member or student.
- If an organisation is not federated with Deakin and chooses to verify federation manually, you can you can request federation by contacting the IT Service Desk.
To find out if another organisation is available for Federation, you can view the Lync Federation Directory.