Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
How do I rename or move a share folder?
Note: This KB article is intended for file share data stewards. For a list of file share data stewards refer to the File Share Summary web page.
Each organisational area within the University can be provided a file share upon request. These file shares are managed by File Share Data Stewards within the organisational area who can create a structure comprised of Share Folders (where users can be granted access to save and store files) and Containers (which can be used to create a hierarchy of Share Folders based on function or activity).
File Shares are managed through the IAM Share Management System - https://intranet-apps.deakin.edu.au/iam/shares/
The IAM Share Management System allows file share data stewards to both move and rename Share Folders and Containers within shares that they manage. Share Folders and Containers can only be moved within a File Share and not between File Shares. You can both move and rename a share folder at the same time even though this KB article shows the two processes separately.
Moving a share folder or container
- To move a share folder or container click the Edit Button in the Actions column for the item you want to move. If you do not see an Edit button next to the share folder you want to move please contact the IT Service Desk to arrange for the functionality to be enabled for your share.
In this example the 2016-Award-Review Share Folder is going to be moved into the Projects container.
- In the window that appears select the new location where the Share Folder or Container will reside and click Save. In this example the Projects container is selected.
- When the page reloads you will see the Share Folder or Container you are moving will appear Locked and a placeholder is created in the destination location. The move is now queued and will be automatically performed within 10 minutes.
- Once the move is completed the Share Folder or Container is unlocked and the placeholder is removed.
Renaming a Share Folder or Container
The process for renaming a Share Folder or Container is the same as moving a a Share Folder or Container except a new name is specified in the edit box and the location is not changed.
- To rename a Share Folder or Container click the Edit button in the Actions columns next to the item you want to rename. In the below example the 2018-Process-Improvement Share Folder will be renamed to 2016-Process-Improvement.
- In the window that appears enter the new Name for the Share Folder or Container and click Save.
- When the page reloads a placeholder Share Folder is created with the new name, and both the placeholder and the original Share Folder or Container are locked. The rename is now queued and will be automatically performed within 10 minutes.
- Once complete the placeholder is removed, the original item is renamed and unlocked.