Have an IT question?
Our Best Answer
How do I securely connect to Deakin off-site using the Virtual Private Network (VPN) (Android devices)?
Install the Cisco AnyConnect software
- Launch the Google Play store. Search for Cisco AnyConnect and install the application. Before tapping Install, make sure that Cisco Systems is the app publisher.
- Open Cisco AnyConnect.
- Tap OK when prompted with these messages.
- When prompted with “Allow AnyConnect to make and manage phone calls”, tap Deny.
- Tap Connections.
- Tap Add New VPN Connection.
- Tap Server Address.
- If you’re working from home or from a trusted network, type vpn.deakin.edu.au/unencrypted and tap OK.
- If you’re working overseas or from an unknown network (like public Wi-Fi), type vpn.deakin.edu.au/encrypted and tap OK.
- Tap Done.
- Tap < Advanced Preferences to go back to main page.
- Tap the on/off tab next to AnyConnect VPN, to turn the VPN on. It will now connect and may take a few moments to do so.
- You now need to enter your Deakin username and password. If you have not registered for Multi-Factor Authentication (DUO), leave the ‘Second Password’ field blank, then tap Connect. If you have registered for Multi-Factor Authentication (DUO), open the DUO app on your mobile device to obtain a PIN and tap Connect. Or, enter the word ‘PUSH’ in the ‘Second Password’ field and tap Connect, then tap Approve on your mobile device
- The word ‘Connected’ will appear to let you know your connection has been successful. A key icon in the top left corner of the screen also indicated an active connection.
Disconnect the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection
- To end your secure connection, tap the on/off tab next to AnyConnect VPN, so it switched to ‘Off’.
- Second Password will appear next time as ‘Enter PIN or ‘PUSH”.
- vpn.deakin.edu.au/encrypted will appear next time as Deakin VPN Encrypted Internet.
- vpn.deakin.edu.au/unencrypted will appear next time as Deakin VPN Unencrypted Internet.